A 3-day workshop involving many variations of Soumak, including some little-known or developed by instructor Kennita Tully.
We will start with an overview of the workshop, looking at work by tapestry artists using Soumak techniques, followed by hands on basic Single Soumak. Day 2 will focus on Double Soumak and Day 3 design issues and troubleshooting.
Instructor: Kennita Tully
Length: 3 Days
Materials Fee: $10, covers small amounts of a variety of yarns to work with=
Skill Level: Beginner to Advanced; participants need to have a basic knowledge of weaving and come with a warped loom.
Equipment & Supplies to Bring:
- Pre-warped tapestry loom (suggest 8 epi and a width of 4 to 6 inches)
- Weft yarn appropriate for 8 epi.
- Sketchbook with some design ideas (pre-conceived design ideas optional)
- Notebook for notes and ideas/thoughts/questions
- Pen or pencil for notes
- Hand beater
- Tapestry needle
- Bobbins if you use them
- Sharpie (permanent ink) markers